Sunday 7 August 2011

Bob and Gene had very nice labels!

Had I been scouring the 7" bins at record stores in the US when Bob and Gene's Mo Do Records 45s were originally released I would surely have snapped them up on the basis of the graphic design of their labels alone.  I don't own any of the singles but the Bob and Gene cd on Daptone wisely employed the same exquisite label design:


The music itself is pretty nifty, too.  'Sailboat', in particular, is a pleasing small scale shuffler that's not unlike a slightly muffled, less parpy take on Archie Bell and The Drells'Tighten Up'


I could look (and have looked!) at record labels for hours on end.  Northern Soul scene stalwart Chalky has a nice gallery with over a thousand scans of labels from his collection including  this Bob and Gene original.  Next time the rain's battering down outside (like...ooh...tonight!) I recommend pouring yourself a cuppa and spending a wee while picking your own favourite label.

5 comments:

  1. Did you pick up the non-lp single on Daptone, It's Not What You Know (It's Who You Know)/Lonely Nights? Well worth your pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I hadn't twigged that there was a non-lp single. Great! I'll do a bit of rummaging when I get home. Nice tip again, sir!

    cheers, b

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that there is a Northern Soul exhibition on in Dundee at the moment? There's a (very) short film of people dancing and some record boxes, flyers etc. It's OK, if you're passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    Yeah, I checked out the exhibition a few weeks ago. I wrote a mean-spirited blog about it and then felt awful so didn't post it. I'm going to write another, though.

    cheers, d

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Ben...checked out the non-lp single and it's ace! Great tip. Nice picture sleeve, too.

    b

    ReplyDelete