Wednesday 30 January 2013

Frozen Disease

"Frozen Disease" by Norway's I Was A King gets me in the heart every time.  Every time.  Its dense array of burnished guitars and vintage organs combine with singer Anne Lise Frøkedal's rueful voice to exquisite effect.  There are the tiniest echoes of the much missed Trish Keenan in Frøkedal's phrasing and handling of the melody.  Maybe that's why it makes me so emotional.  I guess the swells have something to do with that, too.  Whatever the reason, I feel it every time.


Stream and buy their "You Love It Here" album here (N.B. There is a lovely vinyl issue, too!).  Impeccably produced by Norman Blake and Robyn Hitchcock (!), it was released in autumn 2012 and was their third album.  I'll definitely be sifting through their back catalogue in search of more gems after hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment