Monday 9 January 2012

The Garlands "You Never Notice Me" b/w "Continue"

Today definitely had a pink tinge to it. First, the sky painted itself a breathtaking shade of pinkish purple then a record on Big Pink Cake Records won itself a sizeable place in my heart.  Given a love of fuzzed-up girl-pop, The Garlands' "You Never Notice Me" was always going to find a happy home in my record box.  "Continue" on the flip, however, makes it even more lovable.  It goes on the sweetest rampage, all frenetic playing and snappy melody but with the most cooing backing vocals.  Those backing vocals are so gentle; worthy of Laura Watling, even,  It's the kind of song you want to play real loud so that it wraps itself around you as you spin in your living room.  It's bigger sounding than you might expect, too. A wee bit of ambition and a little self-confidence is a good thing.  Brilliant single!


6 comments:

  1. I'm sure I had socks on when I came in, where can they have got to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and horsemeatpie recreating that Red Hot Chilli Peppers sleeve again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you can hear a snatch of the WONDROUS b-side here:

    http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/products/TheGarlands-YouNeverNoticeMeContinue-BigPinkCakeRecords-78133.html

    Hope you dig it!

    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not in this weather! The A-side was a nice thing to get back to after a late shift, it segued nicely into 'Ecstacy and Wine'.

    On a side note, I know I've been too lazy to do that 70s comp, but here are some suggestions:

    http://blissout.blogspot.com/2012/01/older-readers-may-remember-blog-from_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris,

    No worries. Thanks for the link...I'll investigate after a nice long sleep. I'll need one before delving into the 70s :)

    b

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long do cranberry garlands last inside?
    Before they get all gross and unsightly? If I make them today, will they last to xmas?

    ReplyDelete