Monday 14 January 2013

Mr. Creator


Kent time again! Their Apollas compilation had been winking at me from the cd racks for a while and when I finally took the time to do my homework and heard "Mr. Creator" I knew I'd be cheerfully parting with cash for it (see, some folks still spend money on physical releases!).  Occupying similar musical ground to The Flirtations' "Nothing But A Heartache", it benefits from one of the best (re?)mastering jobs I can recall hearing; so powerful, so bright.  Lead singer Leola Jiles glides effortlessly through the gears from girl group sweetness to gospel wailing without overdoing it in either direction.  How I'd love an original 45!  Hopefully a fair proportion of the cd's other 24 tracks are similarly immense.  Kent wins again!

2 comments:

  1. You won't be disappointed. Songwriters Ashford and Simpson were on fire. Original copies of Mr Creator aren't too stupid a price as northern soul goes, but you're still looking at around £75 for an ex copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just spinning it now - sounds grand! Nothing to match "Mr. Creator" yet, though. Alas 75 is out of my reach. Now that I know it's not outrageously dear, though, I'll keep half an eye out for a copy. Ta!

    brogues

    ReplyDelete